Sunday, August 7, 2005

sunday drive



What could be better than to rise in the morning with a smile on your face, stretch, and announce that it would be a lovely day for a country drive to the most delightful inn for breakfast? I'll tell you what...your sweet sweetie nodding in agreement!

So, off we went bright and early with the top down and the open road ahead of us. We headed west on Route 50. We followed every whim that we had. If we saw an interesting site to the right, we turned right. We were amazed at how many luxury home communities are popping up left and right amidst farmyards here and there. Loudon county is the fastest growing county in the U.S. afterall.

We landed in Middleburg at The Red Fox Inn...

"Would you like to have your brunch on the terrace?" Oh yes! Birds chirping, flagstone underfoot, and the best coffee and muffins ever! This was pure heaven. I had eggs benedict which was served with a bounty of fresh fruits.

After breakfast I would have loved nothing more than to stroll the streets of Middleburg and do some light shopping, but we decided to head back home. But not before stopping at one of my very favorite spots...The British Pantry. Owned by a Brit from Watford who longed for salad cream, the British Pantry started in the reception area of her husband's British car business selling just a few bars of chocolate, bacon and sausages, and of course salad cream! Before they knew it every expat in the area (as well as people like me who adore discovering odd groceries) found them and they outgrew their tiny space. It is now a very cute little store that is a lot like old country store meets very orderly pantry. I love it and could spend days and all my money there. Here's the loot I got today:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmm....your day sounds blissful! But I have one question - 'what is salad cream'? I am really curious because salad and cream are two of my favorite things!

Michelle

amy said...

Here's an article about Salad Cream for you, Michelle...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A505784

Rosa said...

Aw, Middleburg. I'm from VA and moved to Nashville five years ago from Leesburg. I miss it all.