Thursday, July 28, 2005

domestic bliss


Oh happy day! I found this seasoning on the shelves at the grocery store and it just makes me so happy. I think I may be alone in my thrill so maybe I should explain.

First of all, this looks like some sort of spice tin that you might find hidden in the very back of your grandmother's spice cabinet, doesn't it? It makes me want to tie on an apron and start whipping up a meatloaf-to-end-all meatloaves...and to have it ready for my sweetie when he steps through the door tonight.

Now, some of my feminist friends might frown deeply about this sort of behavior that I'm sure they will call regressive. Here's the thing...I have the choice to go out in the corporate world, shoulder to shoulder with my male colleagues, yes. And I'm so happy to have that choice. I made that choice for years. But isn't there always two sides to a choice? And isn't the beauty of their battle that I can now make the choice based on what I love?

I love making meatloaf. I love showing my love for my husband by creating the best meatloaf that he's ever had. And I love finding this tin amongst all of the hundreds of spices on the shelf at the grocery store today.

6 comments:

Allie said...

You go girl! I totally agree :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - I was totally going to say 'you GO girl' until I saw that Allie had already said the same thing! But it still applies and I, too, couldn't agree more.

It's wonderful to have choices...

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hey, I can't even make a decent meatloaf and I've been trying for years. I will have to look for this stuff! You go, Girl! (Found you through Waterfall.)

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I love meatloaf too. MM MM

Anonymous said...

i too am a huge fan of wonderful grocery store finds. switched from kraft mashmallow cream to "fluff" just because the label was so wonderfully domestic and retro. i also by a certain brand of molasses because i love the rabbit labels... i'll buy just about anything that will put "kitch" back in kitchen. i'm going to keep my eye out for the meatloaf spice-- wonderful!

Relyn Lawson said...

I'm at work on a Sunday night getting ready for a week of teaching second graders. I started on your blog and am caught. I love all this goodness. When I am doing the putzing around work of teaching - the cleaning, straightening, organizing, passing out papers part, I usually put on an old favorite movie. Today I'm watching The Magic of Ordinary Days by Hallmark Hall of Fame. I read this post, and thought that you would love this movie. Let me know if you watch it, won't you?